The hardest thing for me while on my keto diet journey has been the ice cream cravings. Thank you LA Summers. All I could think about during week two of our ketogenic diet was ice cream. I literally planned on how I would cheat with a Godiva cone while shopping (watch our update video here), a las the universe was on my diet's side and I could not find a Godiva ANYWHERE. Luckily I did find a few easy keto ice cream recipes online. For someone who had never made ice cream from scratch this seamed daunting. Desperate times calls for desperate measures. I also did not own an ice cream maker (yet). Once I figured out the basics I got the hang of it and now I don't even miss traditional sugary ice cream. Okay, maybe a little, but having a few keto dessert recipes in my arsenal has helped me reach my goal of 30 days on a ketogenic diet. Currently Chris and I are continuing our keto way of life until we reach our goals. More on that soon.
The first batch I made was tasty, but the texture was a bit lacking since I didn't have an ice cream maker. For this recipe you can get away without, but if you plan on sticking to the keto diet, I recommend investing in an ice cream maker. It really makes all the textural difference. Bonus, you only have to wait 20-30 minutes versus 8 hours for ice cream. Again the universe wanted me to stick to this diet since I got my ice cream maker for free (or trade) at a yard sale I co-hosted with my friend @thedailyjenny last week. Frankly I helped her out, she's been trying to get rid of this thing for months. Our last yard sale I got an amazing dog gate that we'd been needing from her too! Guys declutter and host yard sales with friends, you'll purge the unused and also score some great finds!
Keto Dessert Recipes
SIMPLE KETO (LOW CARB) ICE CREAM
Serving size: 1/2 cup, Number of servings: about 10-12, Total Calories: about 378, Total net carbs: about 2g
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 4 cups Heavy cream (divided)
- 1/2 cup Powdered erythritol
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup MCT Oil (highly recommended if not using an ice cream maker)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add half of the heavy cream (2 cups) and powdered erythritol.
Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mixture should
become thick and coat the back of a spoon.
2. Pour into a large bowl and allow to cool to room temperature (or if you’re impatient like me, put it in the freezer
while you do step 3. Stir in the vanilla extract. Whisk in the MCT oil (highly recommended, and a MUST DO if you
don't have an ice cream maker).
3. Beat the remaining 2 cups of heavy cream using a hand mixer with a whisk attachment on High, until stiff peaks form.
It's ready when you see a pronounced trail from the whisk on the surface of the cream. Do NOT over mix. Check
4. Gently and gradually fold the beaten heavy cream into the sweet mixture in the bowl, about 1/2 cup at a time. Careful
not to deflate the cream or over mix.
5. Transfer the mixture to a freezer container, like a loaf pan. Smooth the top with a spatula. If you want to add mix-ins,
gently stir them in now. Make sure to line the surface with a piece of parchment paper or wax paper to keep ice
crystals from forming.
6. For best results use an ice cream maker. My first go was without an ice cream maker and the mixture was harder, less
creamy, but still delicious. The ice cream maker will give you the texture of actual ice cream and you’ll only have to
wait 30 minutes for ice cream vs. hours.
7. WITHOUT ICE CREAM MAKER: freeze for 6 to 8 hours or until firm. You can stir the ice cream during the
freezing process, to help with a more ice cream like texture. Ice cream will get hard in the freezer after longer periods
of time. We ate it within one week of making. You’ll need to let it sit before serving.
Have you tried a homemade sugar free low car ice cream before? What are your favorite mix in options? I've been obsessed with my Keto Chocolates and will crush up a few squares to top off my ice cream as a nighttime treat. Also love these keto friendly chocolate bars.
Let me know what your keto diet questions are, I'll be filming a Q&A with a friend of mine who's been on a ketogenic diet for 5 plus years over on my lifestyle channel.