If you are keto (ketogenic) or have stumbled across Tik Tok (follow me HERE). in the last few months, you probably have heard of chaffles. What are chaffles you ask? Well, it’s a low carb keto friendly waffle that can be altered to your liking. Our favorite way to use chaffles are to make chaffle burgers. I uploaded a full how to make chaffle burgers on YouTube, but wanted to create a blog post for easy recipe guidance.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
Please keep in mind that Chris and I practice a very low carbohydrate diet, which makes chaffle burgers a great treat that keeps us on protocol. We like to reserve our full treat meals to Dave’s Hot Chicken (we talk more about this later).
For burger cravings this recipe does the trick and keeps us using fat as fuel. There are lots of reasons to eat a high fat diet, but that’s a post for another day. For myself I stick to a low carb diet and eat high fat because it’s helped me manage my hormonal imbalances as well as helped with my depression and mood swings.
Nutrition is complicated and diets need to be unique to each individual. If you are not using fat as fuel, reserve this recipe for your treat meal, like I would reserve a heavy Italian pasta meal for mine.
Ingredients For Cheddar Chaffles (makes 4 using dash waffle maker)
- 1 ½ cup fresh shredded cheddar cheese (don’t buy pre shredded cheese, it’s full of crap)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp coconut flour (almond flour works too)
- Red chili flakes to taste
Ingredients For Burger Patties
- ½ pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ranch seasoning (optional)
- Avocado oil or butter
- My spicy ranch sauce or whatever you take on your burger
- Plug in your waffle maker (I got mine for $10 at Target, but you can find the exact one HERE)
- Mix 1 cup cheese, eggs, flour, and chili flakes in a bowl. Mix well.
- Coat your iron with avocado oil or butter
- Sprinkle a pinch of shredded cheese on the iron
- Put about 2 tablespoons of mix onto iron
- Sprinkle a pinch of shredded cheese on top, close iron and wait
- While the first chaffle is making, heat up your pan and grease it with butter or avocado oil on medium high heat.
- Mix your ground beef with seasonings and form into two equal portions
- Create a ball, then flatten to a burger pattie shape. Press your thumb in the center to create a dent.
- Grill the patties using the pan (I like to place a heavy skillet or grill press on the patties) flip patties about 4 to 6 min each side depending on how you like your meat.
- When your iron light switches off the chaffle is done, carefully remove the chaffle and place on a rack to cool. It’ll get crispier as well.
- Repeat the process to make 4 total chaffles
- Once your chaffles are all done, put the burgers together.
I like to use any leftover shredded cheese by melting them on the hot burger patties. Chris and I will smash ½ an avocado with salt as a topping. We love my homemade spicy ranch (recipe coming soon). Top your burger with whatever you want and enjoy!
Make sure to sign up for my newsletter for giveaways and to be notified when my first low carb/ keto cookbook is ready!