Hey there, fellow busy moms and pancake enthusiasts! If you find yourself drowning in sourdough discard and craving a delicious breakfast treat that the whole family will love, you're in the right place. Today, I'm sharing my go-to recipe for making fluffy and nutritious sourdough discard pancakes that are sure to become a household favorite. Let's dive in!
How to Make The Best Sourdough Pancakes
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Sourdough starter (100% hydration, either leftover discard or bubbly)
- All-purpose flour
- Fine sea salt
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Large eggs
Best Tips for Making The Best Sourdough Pancakes:
Tip #1: The Perfect Ratio
Getting the liquid-to-flour ratio right is the key to the best sourdough pancake perfection. Learn how to strike the balance between thick and doughy or thin and crepe-like. For fluffy sourdough pancakes, aim for a thick, bubbly, and pourable batter.
Tip #2: The Dynamic Duo of Baking Powder and Baking Soda
Discover why using both baking powder and baking soda is the secret to achieving that ideal fluffiness without the need for whipped egg whites. Say goodbye to extra steps and hello to light, fluffy, and tender pancakes.
Tip #3: Embrace the Sourdough Discard
Uncover the magic of using 1 cup of leftover sourdough discard. Whether it's bubbly or not, it adds a unique twist to your pancakes. The interaction with baking soda creates a texture that's light, fluffy, and tender—perfect for your next breakfast feast.
Why Make Pancakes from Scratch?
Flavor and Convenience in One Bite:
Explore the benefits of an overnight pancake batter that intensifies the flavor and brings the convenience of a quick morning prep. Learn how natural acids in the sourdough starter make these the best sourdough pancakes. Not only delicious, but also easier to digest.
You can also make these pancakes the day of following the recipe below and always freeze extras for a quick on the go breakfast or snack!
Best Sourdough Pancakes
- 1 skillet
- 1 spatula
- 1 measuring cups
- 1 measuring spoons
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 food scale
- 1½ cups all purpose flour (190 grams)
- 2 tbsp sugar or preferred sweetener (24 grams)
- ½ tsp finally ground sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sourdough discard, sourdough starter (240 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp melted unsalted butter or oil
- For thick and fluffy pancakes: Combine the wet and dry ingredients EXCEPT for the baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix well, cover and chill overnight.
- Next day, sift the powders directly over the bowl and whisk again to combine.
- Let the batter sit for at least 5 minutes; it should be nice and bubbly before using. The batter can be used cold.
Same Day Preparation
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients. Whisk gently until a smooth batter forms; some lumps are ok.
- In a large skillet (cast iron or non-stick), melt butter over medium-low heat. Swirl the pan around to coat.
- Pour 1/3 cup of batter into the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes, lowering the heat as needed.
- When the edges begin to puff up and bubbles appear on the surface, flip it over.
- Cook for about another minute.
- Place the pancake onto a sheet pan and keep warm in the oven while you cook the rest.
If you're loving these sourdough discard pancakes, there's plenty more where that came from! Check out Homemade New York Style Sourdough Discard Bagel Recipe. Browse my site for similar mouthwatering recipes, follow me on social media (Instagram, TikTok) for daily inspiration, and don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to stay in the loop.
There you have it—your ticket to pancake perfection that fits seamlessly into your busy life. Whip up a batch of these sourdough discard pancakes and watch them disappear faster than you can say "breakfast is served." Happy flipping!